Friday, September 28, 2018

My personal ranking of the 3 popular Operating Systems.

I'm an Operating System guy. I love installing different types of Operating Systems, just to see what they look and feel like! Heck, I've even Visualized old AT&T System V Unix, just to see what the command shell was like. But I recently found myself wondering, out of three biggest Operating Systems out there, grouping all the Linuxes together, how would I rank them? Well, after a little thought, I think I've come up with the order.
And a quick side-note, I'm writing this from a developer standpoint, so there will be a lot of programming talk.

Number 3: Apple macOS/OSX:

The more I use this Operating System, astoundingly, the more tolerable I find it. The nice thing about macOS is that at it's core, it's Unix. It's been awfully manipulated in my eyes, but it's still definitely there. The problem with it is that to make it more user-friendly Apple has thrown a bunch of stuff on top that weights down a otherwise amazing OS. Reducing it to what is essentially a Windows-like experience for developers. But it does have the BASH shell. And you can easily install the Apple compilers. It's a very close race between Windows and macOS for me, but at the end of day, I disapprove of Apple's business policies more then Microsoft's, and that's a spot I just can't get over.
 Also, why does it have to have a MACH-Kernel? If it didn't, we could run actual BSD apps on here! And I could replace the awful Finder file explorer!

Number 2: Microsoft Windows (7/10):

I used to LOVE Windows. I thought it was the cream of the crop. I was stupid then. Windows is an amazing OS. The taskbar, although arguably not as pretty as the macOS dock, is much better for fast efficient work. Almost every program for PCs has a Windows version, and the File explorer is really amazing. The problem is, Windows is entirely Microsoft original. This results in all of the more advanced *nix tools not running. Windows has an amazing, powerful set of tools, made almost entirely just for use on Windows. But they're not the same as the open source tools, used on almost every other platform. Resulting in more advanced programs, such as GNU gparted, not being ported to Windows, and probably wouldn't even work if fully ported over in it's current state.

Number 1: Linux (All Distros.):

As a quick heads up, this is based mostly off my experience with Ubuntu, but will hopefully be general enough to apply to all Distributions of Linux.
Linux is the true cream of the crop. Linux is the most durable, mod-able OS you can install. You can change just about anything. If you don't like the way your desktop looks, install a new one! Want to run Windows programs? You can do that too! On top of all this, it supports all of the standard programming tools. The major downside to Linux is, you lose a lot of native application support.
The majority of the major applications, such as Microsoft Office, or iTunes, don't support Linux. As  no one other then programmers really use this OS. And they often have a dual boot of either Windows or macOS. But it does have a large library of "Free Software", which are, just that. You can basically anything with free software. (Although, they often require that the base source code, if you change it and publish it, is still free and open through your program.)

No comments:

Post a Comment