Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Thoughts on the SNES Mini rumor

Today rumors have surfaced that the reason the NES Classic, was discontinued, because Nintendo is making an SNES Classic. If Nintendo has decided to discontinue it, because of the SNES mini, Nintendo has once again shown, they don't understand the US market.

What Nintendo fails to understand is that, not everyone who got a NES Classic would get an SNES mini. Sure some people (I'd even venture half the people) will also get the SNES classic, but if you look at the sales numbers, the NES sold over 10 million more then the SNES. Meaning that at least 10 million people who owned a NES and could connect with an NES Classic, won't be able to connect with an SNES Classic.


If the SNES Classic is why they discontinued the  NES Classic, they still don't see that they could have made way more money, from the combined sales. The SNES Classic and NES Classic, clearly won't have the same games. People weren't just buying just because "It looks like an NES, but smaller, how cute" people were buying for the memories of the games on it. Memories that, the games on an SNES Classic, won't be able to fill. Sure there might be other memories and that's why I'm sure the SNES Classic will do good, but different ones.

I think what Nintendo is really worried about, at the heart of it, that if they  have two classics out on the market, they will hurt each other's sales. Which just isn't true. Personally... I'd prefer an SNES Classic, because (Even though I'm not from either of there eras) I love Super Mario world. But guess what. I'd buy a Classic anyway. At the very least, because it would be cool to use a new NES controller, with a new console. Not to mention, to try the older games, because I'm not from the NES era, I haven't tried.

I'll leave it with this:
 Dear Nintendo,

You should put the NES Classic back into production along side with the SNES classic. I'll buy both. And I'm sure 50% and more will too. And the people who won't buy an SNES classic, never would have. (Well... they might have before you gave us all the issues with the NES Classics, and saw how awfully you handled that.)

Yours truly,
          Snorp09


No comments:

Post a Comment