Friday, May 26, 2017

Fresh first impressions of "Arms" for the Nintendo Switch

I just tried the ARMS demo. It's not great. It's not bad either. Here I'll go into details about my first impressions thoughts. (For the record, I only played two matches. My impressions might be different if played a little longer. Sadly I started at 5:50. So I didn't have that much time.)

For those who don't know ARMS is Nintendo latest IP. It's a fighting game. ARM's big gimmick is... well... that you can use motion controls and punch using your real arms.

First, I'll go into the good things. The game feels nice to play. The game (At least in controller mode) handles really well. The graphic and art style are also very nice. I like the color full art style of the game.

Now, the bad. As mentioned before, the gimmick is the motion controls. But because it's Nintendo, they couldn't just make it just that you punch with motion controls, they had to make it so you did EVERYTHING with motion controls. To move forward? Just tilt the controllers forward. To move backwards? Tilt them backward. But due to the fact that motion controls just weren't made for actually moving your character, it gets easily of sync. Meaning that you'll find yourself searching for "that sweet spot" that will allow you to actually move forward. And the same goes for every other direction.

What makes this worse it that, it doesn't feel like you're in the game by doing this. I'd personally be way more immersed in the game without moving my hands trying to find "that sweet spot." I'd love to actually PUNCH with the motion controls. But I hate that I have to move with them. So if I end up getting this game, I'll end up just using the normal controller controls. And that's a real shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment